Fall’s Beautiful Leaves = Mold
Fall is a season full of beautiful colors, comfy sweaters, hot chocolate and mold. Mold? Yup, mold! Those beautiful leaves that we all love so much, sadly begin to collect mold and can actually be a big problem for allergy and asthma sufferers.
Mold is just a fact of life. It is everywhere and there isn’t much we can do about all of the mold floating around and growing outside. Luckily, there are steps you can take to help reduce the mold growing in your and around your home.
In The Yard
- Keep the yard leaf free – Ok, that’s not exactly realistic and it can be a huge task that requires you get out there a handful of times during the fall season, but raking up the leaves and getting them out of the yard as quickly as possible can be very helpful in keeping mold at bay.
- Avoid standing water – If you have a problem area around your home or in your yard where water prequently pools, this is something you should quickly fix. Standing water is the perfect breeding ground for mold and mosquitos.
- Clean the gutters – Clogged gutters can cause a number of problems for your home. They create water build up, leaf pile up and can create an environment where mold thrives and makes its way into the home.
In The Home
- Mold checks – Keep your eye on moisture around the windows, under sinks, in the refridgerator drip tray and around bath tubs and showers.
- Dehumidifier – Use a dehumidifier in the home to keep the moisture levels below 40%. This will help dry out the moisture and any mold in the home. You can use a hygrometer to help measure your homes moisture levels.
- Keep windows closed – Even though the cooler temperatures make opening the windows so very tempting, allergy and asthma sufferers may want to think twice. The airborne mold can make its way into your home through open windows and doors and cause your symptoms to flair up.
- Consider mold testing – If someone in your home is allergic to mold, you may want to consider having your home tested for mold to rule it out as the cause of allergy and asthma symptoms. We can help with this! Exhale’s Mold sampler makes testing your home for mold easy. Just plug in the device and let it run for 24 hours and send it back in the prepaid package. We’ll get you answers and help you get the peace of mind you’ve been looking for! To learn more, visit Exhalenow.com/mold
From all of us here at Exhale, Happy Fall!