With all the news coverage about molds, most people would likely agree that mold can be found in any home that has some age to it. After all, mold only needs a little bit of water dripping in the wrong spot to begin to grow.
Recently, I had my own mold story from a discovery in my own home. One morning, while showering, I began to notice very little black spots around the edges and grout on the tiles circling my bathtub. Within a matter of weeks, small black dots grew into larger black spots.
Black mold can only grow where there is water. Typically it is found near bathrooms and kitchens. Showers, ceiling tiles, or walls that have leaky pipes behind them are the hot spots for black mold. A dark, black color indicates that the mold has been unattended to and could potentially reach dangerous toxic levels if people are exposed to it repeatedly.
Black mold needs to be treated at the point of water contact. Sometimes this might call for a total rebuild job, other times, it is a smaller job. Regardless of the size, this type of work needs to be done to get rid of the mold problem. If caught in the early stages before the mold spreads and darkens, some molds can be cleaned away with a special Mold spray, or a home mixture of bleach and water.
However, if untreated, repeated exposure to toxic molds, especially by someone who is allergic to mold, could easily cause a handful of long-term problems and symptoms, including shortness of breath, consistent coughing that could lead to bronchitis or ammonia, and more.
The best prevention for mold is being aware of possible trouble spots locations. Keeping those areas dry and ventilated can go a long way in slowing down mold growth.
In addition to being aware of mold for human health reasons, pets can also be affected to the presence of mold in homes just because of their curious nature to discover hidden spots with their sensitive noses.
If you’re concerned about mold in your home but don’t see any growing, consider having your home tested. Exhale’s Mold testing makes finding out if there is mold growing in your home easy. All you have to do is plug in the device for 24 hours and place it back in the box, attach the prepaid shipping label and drop it off at any Fedex store. We’ll help you get to the bottom of the problem so you can have peace of mind knowing that the air your family is breathing is free of mold.
To get started, visit exhalenow.com/mold